Do you love granolas? I love granolas. Not just me and you, evidence that when you go to the cereal section at the grocery store, there are stockpiles of different kinds of granolas with their different flavors. Different brands with all their gimmicks competing with each other. You must be good to know what to grab without getting dizzy in choosing which one. Go to some specialty store, there you could see those gourmet granolas in a nice jar. Some granola comes loose, and some are in clusters. Now I’m talking. I’m one of those who dig into a box, digging the ones that come in a cluster, and just popping them right into my mouth. I may sound strange but I enjoy it that way.
I started making granola when I made an inventory of what’s in the freezer and the mini pantry. My Gosh, there were bits and pieces of wealth hidden in between. There’s that small bag of flax seeds, walnuts, cashew, hemp seeds, and a lot more. Went to my small pantry, there are bags of oats and chia seeds. It’s a shame to just let it go after you worked so hard to get them, this taught me to venture on how to make a perfect, healthy, crunchy and enjoyable homemade granola. I started making loose granola and I love it except that it feels like it is really meant for breakfast. I needed those clusters where I could just pick with my clean hands thinking I’m eating a cookie.
When I was making almonds and mixed seeds florentine, I thought about granola. When you make almond Florentine, It is the egg whites that hold them together, no matter how thin you make them. It is the egg whites that help them come out beautifully brown, and it is the egg whites that make them wonderfully and delicately crunchy. The same principle goes with this making of granola and it is so divine. I never went back to the old ways. I promise you, make it and this will make you deliriously happy.
What makes a healthy granola?
- 6 Super-healthy seeds you should eat, Flax seeds, Chia seeds, hemp seeds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and sesame seeds.
2. Rolled oats or old fashion oats are oat groats that have gone through a steaming and flattening process. Fiber-rich whole grains are a good source of protein and packed with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
4. Olive oil, If you’re watching your saturated fat. Otherwise, I like coconut oil too.
5. Eggwhites are cholesterol-free, a good source of protein, and essential vitamins and minerals.
To be honest with you, I made this homemade granola because it is cheaper and more exciting to make, not because it is healthier than the store-bought. Another reason I stayed away from store-bought is that I’m not really into dried fruit in my cereals or granola. I hope I don’t disappoint anybody but that’s just me. I love eating dried fruits on their own, or If I want raisins, I would go for raisin bread.
How to make Healthy granola?
There’s a long list of ingredients in this recipe, but It doesn’t mean to have it all. You can make granola from the basics such as rolled oats, sweeteners, and oil of your choice. If you have any extra nuts on hand throw them in, they’re all good. If You are a lover of dried fruit, throw them in too after it is finished from baking and out from the oven. If you need some warmth, add a few dashes of cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and or ground ginger, they’re all delicious. If you are allergic to egg whites or pure vegan; omit the egg whites. You want to use all the ingredients listed but worried about how to use the rest of it? you will be amazed that you can use them in soo many ways.
Experts often advise that the best form of getting all the necessary nutrients that our body needs is to eat vegetables and nuts raw. But there is no such thing as “raw granolas”. While I was doing thorough research, diving deep about Granolas, Alton Brown’s method of making granola by baking at a very low temperature got my attention. From my heart, I thank Alton Brown for his genius Idea. The low temperature in cooking not only prevents you from making good food toxic but also helps preserve vitamins and minerals.
The simplicity of how to make this granola recipe is something you will not regret making. Gather all the dry ingredients and dump them all in a large mixing bowl. Pour the wet ingredients, give a good swirl to fully incorporate everything then transfer into the baking sheet and bake. That’s it!
Therefore, Readable and awesome ingredients cooked in a very low heat are the epitome of clusters of healthy granolas.
HOW TO MAKE CLUSTERS OF HEALTHY GRANOLA
- Large mixing bowl, spatula, 2 Baking sheet lined with parchment paper
- 4 Cups (400 grams)Old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 Cup (100 grams) Walnut
- 1 Cup (113 grams) Cashew
- ½ Cup (80 grams) Raw pepitas(pumpkin seeds)
- ½ Cup (70 grams) Raw sunflower seeds
- ½ Cup (36 grams) Shredded coconut flakes, unsweetened
- ½ Cup (70 grams) Sesame seeds
- ½ Cut (80 grams) Chia seeds
- ½ Cup (84 grams) Hemp seeds
- ½ Cup (75 grams) Flax seeds, ( lightly crushed)
- 1 Teaspoon Pink salt
- ½ Teaspoon Cinnamon
- ¾ Cup (255 grams) Honey
- ¼ Cup (33 grams) Olive oil
- 3 Large Egg whites
- 2 Teaspoon Vanilla paste/ vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 250°F. Place one oven rack on the second upper shelf and the other rack on the second lower shelf. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, cinnamon, and all the nuts and seeds. In a separate bowl, lightly whisk the egg whites, olive oil, honey, vanilla, and salt. Combine both mixtures and mix thoroughly.
- Pour onto the prepared baking sheet and spread evenly. baked for 1 hour and 20 minutes without stirring. Alternately move the baking sheets halfway through cooking.
- Store the granola in a sealed container at a room temperature for 2 weeks or in a sealed freezer bag in the freezer for 3 months.
- All the nuts and seeds are optional, cater according to your needs and anything available.
- Omit egg whites to make loose granolas and stir halfway through.
- For sweeteners, use maple syrup, honey or agave syrup. Use brown sugar, but mix with the dry ingredients.
- If you want to add dried fruits, add when it’s all baked.