POMODORO SPAGHETTI WITH ORANGE
A simple pasta dish in a delicious tomato sauce with the addition of citrusy fragrance from orange peel and orange zest.
- 4 Tablespoon Olive oil, divided
- 1 Small Onion, grated using the larger hole of the grater box or minced
- 2 Garlic cloves, minced
- 4 Strips Orange peel
- ½ Teaspoon Red pepper flakes
- 12 Ounces Tomato puree/ "Passata"
- 1 Teaspoon Fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 8 Ounces Spaghetti
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Grated parmesan cheese to serve
Heat Olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, add onion and cook until translucent. Add garlic and orange peel and cook until fragrant; then pour the tomato puree. Add the oregano, continue cooking for at least 20 minutes, stirring once in a while or until the sauce reduced to half.
Halfway through cooking, cook the spaghetti pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until aldente. Transfer the pasta to the sauce, reserving some of the cooking liquid. Whip the remaining extra virgin olive oil and salt to taste. Add a little of the pasta cooking liquid if needed. Laddle the spaghetti on a plate, finish with a few grinds of pepper and orange zest. Serve and pass Grated parmesan cheese if desired.