- 3 cups Sweet potatoes, cubed (½ inch cube)
- 2 tablespoon Coconut oil, melted or vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoon Caraway seeds (optional)
- 2 tablespoon Honey (optional)
- 4 cups Curly kale, chopped (packed)
- 2 tablespoon Extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup Red onion, thinly sliced
- ½ cup Sunflower seeds, raw(or roasted)
- 4 tablespoon White wine vinegar
- 4 tablespoon Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Honey (or more)
- 1 tablespoon Peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon Coarse salt
- ¼ cup Tarragon leaves, fully packed (about 5 stems)
Prepare the sweet potatoes
In a small mixing bowl, combine the coconut oil, honey, and caraway seeds, whisk to combine. Pour into the bowl of cubed sweet potatoes and toss using a spatula until all the sweet potatoes are coated thoroughly. Spread into the prepared baking sheet and into the oven. Roast for 15- 20 minutes tossing halfway through. Sweet potatoes should be tender but not mushy. Take it out from the oven.
Make the vinaigrette dressing
Using pestle and mortar: Add peppercorns, coarse salt, and tarragon into the mortar. Roll the pestle across the salt and peppercorns with a firm grip applying pressure against the mortar until they crush and burst into smaller pieces. Continue rolling while incorporating the tarragon until they are crushed and muddled but leaving some tarragon pieces visible.
Place all the ingredients in a lidded jar including the tarragon paste and shake vigorously to fully incorporate all the ingredients. Taste and taste again, make adjustments according to your preference.
Put the prepared kale, roasted and still warm sweet potatoes, and red onions in a serving bowl. Pour the dressing and toss. Cover with plastic wrap and let it rest in the fridge or countertop for at least 10-30 minutes to develop an extra delicious flavor. Sprinkle the sunflower seeds before serving.
- You don't have pestle and mortar, use the side of your knife to muddle the tarragon as you incorporate freshly ground pepper and fine salt instead.
- If you're using Tuscan kale, skip the gentle massage except let it rest for at least 30 minutes. The longer it stays, the vinaigrette dressing will soften the kale leaves.
- Any dressed leftovers can still hold for the next day, cover and keep in the fridge.
Calories: 431kcal | Carbohydrates: 34g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 33g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 5g | Monounsaturated Fat: 17g | Sodium: 515mg | Potassium: 505mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 15g | Vitamin A: 11449IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 83mg | Iron: 3mg