How to make the best strawberry rhubarb pie crisp?
Gorgeous red fruit bubbling underneath crunchy and buttery almond and oats toppings. One of the most delicious pie desserts I ever had
ALMOND AND OATS TOPPING:
- 32 grams | 1/4 Cup All purpose flour
- 100 grams | 1/2 Cup Light brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 113 grams | 1/2 Cup Butter, chilled
- 80 grams | 1 cup Old fashioned rolled oats
- 35 grams | 1/2 cup Sliced almond
- ½ teaspoon Grated nutmeg (optional)
- 435 grams | about 3 cups Strawberry, hulled and quartered
- 454 grams | about 3 cups Rhubarb, sliced into 1/2-inch
- 150 grams | 3/4 cup Granulated Sugar
- 23 grams | 2 tablespoons Quick-cooking tapioca or 3 tablespoons /15 grams, tapioca flour
- 25 grams | 3 tablespoon cornstarch
- 6 grams | 1 tablespoon lemon zest
Roll the chilled dough to twelve-inch in diameter. Roll the dough over your rolling pin then unroll centering over the dish. Gently press the bottom and sides to conform to the shape of the pie dish. Tuck in any excess dough in and under towards the dish as you crimp the dough.
To crimp the dough, make a "V" with two fingers on one hand on the outside of the dough and the index finger on the other hand, to make an indent opposite in between the 'V".
Put it back in the fridge while preparing the filling.
MAKE THE TOPPINGS:
Using a food processor, add the flour, sugar, salt, nutmeg, and cubed butter. Pulse until the butter creates fine crumbs. Transfer into a medium-size bowl and add the oats and almonds. Stir to combine
Using the largest hole of the grater box, Butter must be kept whole and at least in the freeze for 30 minutes. Grated using the large hole. Add with the rest of the ingredients and stir to fully combine.
Combine the rhubarb and strawberry in a large bowl. In another bowl, combine tapioca, corn starch, sugar, and lemon zest, whisk to combine then add with the fruits and stir to incorporate.
Pour the filling into the prepared pie crust. Generously scatter the toppings. Place pie at the bottom shelf of the oven and bake for 50 minutes or until the pie is bubbling and the toppings are nicely brown.
Let it cool for at least an hour or more before slicing.⅐
- For the toppings, use pecans or walnuts or add an extra 1/2 cup of oats if almond is not available
- Use 7 tablespoons of corn starch if not using Tapioca.
- Use 5 tablespoons of quick-cooking tapioca or 7 and 1/2 tablespoons tapioca flour.
- When using frozen rhubarb and strawberry, add an extra tablespoon of each of the thickeners.
Serving: 10Calories: 2801kcalCarbohydrates: 431gProtein: 30gFat: 117gSaturated Fat: 61gPolyunsaturated Fat: 11gMonounsaturated Fat: 37gTrans Fat: 4gCholesterol: 243mgSodium: 1449mgPotassium: 2717mgFiber: 31gSugar: 276gVitamin A: 3342IUVitamin C: 300mgCalcium: 719mgIron: 10mg