It was the very first dinner party at work when one of the guests brought their homemade Almond Florentines and to my advantage being in charge in the kitchen, I had my first almond florentine. Not the typical florentine cookie but it is a type that I can not leave alone, It was addictive! since then, it became my quest to make one at home. I crumble them into my breakfast yogurt for some crunch and to add more substance. A treat at any time of the day.
This florentine was actually very easy to make with just a few ingredients and the bonus, you don’t need to use heavy equipment. You only need egg whites, confectioners’ sugar, sliced almond, a mixing bowl, and a spatula; that’s it. Sometimes to make it more substantial to call it a treat, I drizzle melted chocolate on one side or add some citrus zest for another layer of flavor.
My love for granola brought me this idea of adding more goodness and almond to make florentine more irresistible, no guilty fight just plain pleasure. Pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, and orange zest….why not? Good for me and good for you too.
Almond and mixed seeds Florentine
- 2 Cup Sliced almond
- 1/2 Cup Raw sunflower seeds
- 1/2 Cup Raw sesame seeds
- 1/2 Cup Raw pepitas/ pumpkin seeds
- 1 Cup Organic icing sugar or regular confectioners' sugar
- Zest of a large fresh organic orange
- 3 Large Egg whites
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and lightly brush with olive oil.
- In a large bowl, place all the first six ingredients and mix to combine.
- Lightly whisk the egg whites and gently fold into the almond mixture.
- On a prepared baking sheet, scoop 2 tablespoon of the almond mixture. Using your finger, spread as thin as you can while shaping into a circle leaving no empty gaps. Continue with the rest of the mixture until you fill the Baking sheet leaving 1/2" space apart.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Let it cool for 5 minutes on the baking pan then transfer to a cooling rack to cool the florentine completely.